Solar Battery Cost
However, a low-interest Green Loan can make it affordable to install battery storage.
|LG hybrid Inverter / LG RESU 10Wh battery with single phase blackout protection
|SolarEdge 10kWh Home Battery with single phase blackout protection
|Tesla Powerwall with single phase blackout protection
The above pricing includes supply and installation.
Possible additional costs: battery location further than 5m from your meter board; 3 phase supply, bollard (for installation in a garage or carport), etc.
Your battery needs to be positioned out of direct sunlight.
To meet Australian Standards, there are only certain locations in your home where a battery can go. We always organise a pre-installation site visit with every solar battery job to determine the best location for your battery and to make sure there are no surprises on the day of installation.
Generate income from your solar battery
If you like the idea of installing a solar battery but don’t want it to take 10 years to pay for itself, you might want to consider joining a VPP (Virtual Power Plant). This hastens the payback of a battery by between 3-4 years.
In times of peak demand (eg. on really hot days when everyone’s cranking up their air-conditioners), your energy retailer can tap into your stored power and send this to the grid. Not only do you get handsomely compensated for this power on these occasions, but you also get paid a premium Solar Feed-In Tariff the rest of the time. Here’s how it works. You:
- Generate/consume your own solar energy (free).
- Store your surplus energy in a solar battery. This enables you to potentially power your home free from the sun 24/7.
- Install specialised cloud-based software, which is connected to your inverter. This turns your solar and battery storage system into a smart energy trader. ie. you can generate an income from your system.
- Get paid a Premium Solar Feed-In Tariff once your battery is fully charged.
- Trade your stored power in times of high demand (sell your stored energy back to the grid, timed at the perfect moment to make the most income for you).
- Share profits on trades with your energy provider.
- Guaranteed discount on your usage charges when you pay on time.
With a VPP, you become part of a network of households with solar and batteries, where you run your solar and battery storage system in conjunction with specialised software.
A simple app allows you to monitor and manage your home’s energy usage. You can check this 24/7. A number of inverters and batteries are compatible with a VPP, including 2 of our favourites: SolarEdge DC Optimised inverter technology and LG Chem batteries.
Solar battery alternatives
Larger solar battery storage systems can be pricey, so it’s good to know there are more affordable alternatives to batteries that can help you achieve a similar financial result, such as:
- Solar energy diverters – allow you to divert any surplus solar energy to pre-heat your electric hot water system before exporting the remaining excess to the grid. Meaning your hot water system doesn’t need to run for as long overnight as the water has already been pre-heated by electricity generated from your solar panels. It effectively turns your electric hot water system into a solar hot water system.
- Smart relays – these can be connected to many electrical appliances. When there’s surplus solar energy, these clever units can switch on equipment like air-conditioning, pool pumps and heat pumps. Should a cloud block the sun and your solar production suddenly decreases, the smart relay will stop sending surplus solar energy to the appliance until the sun reappears.
A decent size solar battery (10kWh-14kWh) typically costs between $12,400 and $17,900, while these types of units cost around $1200 – $1300.
We make installing batteries easy